Every Dental School in the UK is unique. The differences between them all can be confusing and it can be difficult to narrow them down to only four. The goal is to select a place with a Dentistry course that matches your learning style and will serve you best.

What Are The Different Dental Course Types?

Dental Schools have different teaching styles that might impact which Dental School you choose. The types of teaching are:

First take some time to research how the different course structures vary, then decide which match your learning style best.


Want To Go To Dental School?

Get the extra support needed to ace the Dentistry application process

Dentistry Tutoring

Can I Do A Foundation Year?

Foundation courses are suitable for those students who have no completed A Levels in the required subjects. They include a preliminary year that involves learning pre-clinical information and covers the foundation levels of science required to study Dentistry.

These courses run for six years rather than the usual five year Dentistry programme.

Dental Schools UK: How Important Are UCAT and BMAT?

This varies between Dental Schools. Each Dental School usually specifies how they use UCAT and BMAT scores in their selection process.

Remember, you will already know your UCAT score prior to sending off your UCAS application. This means that you can tailor your choice of Dental School to fit your UCAT result!

The BMAT is slightly different – there are two sittings, which means that you can either find out your score before you apply, or afterwards. Find out more about which to take on our BMAT page.

What Are Intercalated Dentistry Degrees?

An intercalated degree means that you will get a BSc (or equivalent) from taking a year out of Dentistry to study another subject. This usually occurs between second and third year.

The possibility of completing an intercalated degree depends on the University so this should be researched prior to applying.

Dentistry Tutoring

Loading More Content