HKU Dental School
Thinking of studying Dentistry? The University of Hong Kong is the only university in the city that provides undergraduate and postgraduate Dentistry courses. These include the Bachelor of Dental Surgery (BDS) for undergraduates and a variety of postgraduate programmes. For aspiring dentists, HKU has a great reputation: the University was rated second in the world in the QS World University Rankings for Dentistry.
This page will guide you through the application process for studying Dentistry at the University of Hong Kong.
HKU Dental School: What can I study?
There is currently one undergraduate programme offered at HKU, with a range of postgraduate courses:
HKU Dental School: What are the entry requirements?
Entry requirements vary between courses at HKU, but to take the undergraduate Bachelor of Dental Surgery course, the following subjects and grades are required:
- Mathematics – Level 3 or above
- Liberal Studies – Level 3 or above
- English Language – Level 4 or above
The university also requires Level 3 or above in one of the following electives:
Attend TMP Courses in Hong Kong
- Combined Science
- Integrated Science
HKU Dental School: How do I apply?
As with applications to Medicine, Dentistry applications should be completed using the Joint University Programme Admissions Scheme (JUPAS) by following the guide below:
- Create a personal online application – create your online account with JUPAS.
- Complete the online application – this form should include your personal profile and confirmed programme choices at HKU – make sure you check the entry requirements of all of your Dentistry schools before applying!
- Payment of application fee – at this stage, you will need to pay your non-refundable HK$420 fee. Your application for HKU Dental School will not be sent until you have paid this. It’s worth noting that the JUPAS deadline is usually around December, so make sure you have completed your application before then.
HKU Dental School: How much will it cost?
If you’re planning to study undergraduate HKU Dentistry, your programme will cost HK$42,100 per academic year. More broadly, student accommodation in Hong Kong is around HK$14,000 – 28,000. Other living expenses total HK$40,000.
As with studying Medicine, there are many grants and loans available to fund your studies in Hong Kong. For students from deprived economic backgrounds, the Tertiary Student Finance Scheme is available for those studying full-time at UGC-funded institutions, like HKU. For other students, the Non-Means-Tested Loan Scheme for full-time Tertiary Students also provides loans for full-time local students up to the amount of the university’s tuition fees.
HKU Dental School: How will I be interviewed?
The University offer little information for HKU Dentistry interviews, but they do state on their website that interviews will be carried out after the release of your HKDSE results.