With so many UCAT prep
tools available, how do you know which UCAT course is the best? Get some help with this guide to choosing the best UCAT course.
What Is The Best UCAT Preparation Course?
The best UCAT preparation course is one that teaches you strategies to get a high UCAT score, and is delivered by experts who have mastered the test themselves. It should also be in a format that suits your learning style, so you can maximise your time in the run-up to test day.
To choose between UCAT courses, there are a few things you need to consider.
Do You Want Live Teaching Or Self-Paced Study?
The first thing you need to consider is which method of course delivery would suit you best for your UCAT preparation.
There are two different types of UCAT course:
- A UCAT course with live teaching – delivered either in person or live online
- An online UCAT course where you can work through modules at your own speed
Many students choose a live UCAT course because:
- It’s a more intensive way to learn – you’ll walk away with important strategies after just a few hours of teaching
- It can be fun and interactive
- You’ll meet other aspiring medical students
- You can ask questions and get them answered
Some students will choose an online course instead because:
- You can go at your own speed, which means you can learn test strategies through bitesized modules whenever you want to
- You can usually access the resources for a longer period of time, so you can refresh your memory at any point
- They might include access to a UCAT question bank with practice questions, so you can put the theory into practice
How To Choose The Best Live UCAT Course
If you’ve decided live teaching is best for you, the next step is to find the best UCAT prep course provider. A quick Google search will reveal countless options, so how do you assess the different UCAT courses and decide which one is worth the investment?
Here’s what you should look out for:
- Does the UCAT preparation course have good reviews on third-party review sites? Have they won any awards for their customer service or their record of good reviews?
- Is there any evidence of positive testimonials on the website?
- Is the UCAT prep course popular with other test-takers?
- Are they trusted to teach in schools?
- Will you be taught by medical students who have sat the UCAT recently, or by people who would have taken the test a long time ago? The first option is better!
- Does the company have a history of delivering UCAT prep over many years?
- Does the company seem sensible? Are they providing quality content and resources that are genuinely helpful?
Don’t be afraid to pick up the phone and ask more questions about a UCAT preparation course if you can’t find these details elsewhere.
How To Find The Best Online UCAT Course
When you’re trying to find the best UCAT course to study online, many of the above points are also very important. If you’re going to invest your time in a tool, you should make sure it’s being delivered by a respected company.
You should also think about the following points:
- How long is the UCAT online course? If a live course can be taught in one day, do you really want an online course that will take multiple days to get through? Beware companies which have an excessive amount of video tutorials in their online course, as the content may be delivered less efficiently.
- Does it include access to a question bank so you can practise the theory while you learn?
- Is the course mobile responsive? Could you use it while you’re on the go?
- Can you do a free trial or course demo to test the quality of teaching? Beware any online courses that won’t give you a preview before you commit.
- Is the course interactive and engaging? Don’t settle for boring voiceovers and static screens in 2022.
Could You Benefit From Both Types Of Courses?
Your UCAT preparation becomes even more powerful when you combine both methods of delivery. You could start with a live course to learn all of the key strategies in just one day – and then use an online course to revise, repeat the teaching and apply your learning.
Ultimately, when it comes to choosing the best UCAT course for you, a lot of it comes down to personal preference.
Need help with how to prepare for the UCAT? Check out our guide.