Getting into UK Medical Schools is highly competitive and many excellent applicants are unsuccessful. The solution? Apply to an International Medical School.
Peter McCrorie, Professor of Medical Education at University of Nicosia Medical School, Cyprus
There are two sorts of International Medical Schools:
- Those running a franchised UK programme, leading to a UK degree
- Those offering their own medical degree
The University of Nicosia Medical School in Cyprus offers both opportunities:
- A 6-year school-leaver MD degree programme leading to an EU qualification. To join this programme, applicants should attain the appropriate A-levels and pass an interview.
- A 4-year graduate-entry MBBS degree programme in partnership with St George’s University of London leading to a UK qualification. To join this programme, applicants would have to first acquire a degree (in any subject) and pass an entrance examination and interview.
Both programmes are taught entirely in English by a common teaching faculty. The MD students have the opportunity to study in the UK for the final two clinical years of the programme.
What does our International Medical School and MD Degree have to offer UK applicants?
- Students come from all over the world – from the UK, North America, Europe, the Middle East, Asia, the Far East, Australia and New Zealand – some 60+ countries are represented. It is a truly multicultural and ethnically diverse atmosphere.
- Being among such a mix of students enables them to learn about each other’s countries and healthcare systems. This is not a programme simply training graduates to work in Cyprus.
- The course, although it follows a fairly traditional structure, is innovative, with a strong emphasis on scientific principles from the very start alongside teaching on clinical and communication skills. Early patient contact takes place from Year 2 onwards.
- There is an opportunity for UK students to elect to take the final two years back in the UK. Currently, we have paired up with Barnsley Hospital in the Midlands. Undertaking the final two years back in the UK has the obvious advantage of preparing students better for working in the UK. Ours is the only IMS which has an arrangement like this.
- The programme is accredited by the Cyprus Agency of Quality Assurance and Accreditation (CYQAA) following the World Federation for Medical Education (WFME) guidelines. As such. graduates acquire full registration at the end of the 6 years and are licensed to practise anywhere in Europe or the UK providing they meet any country-specific requirements They are also eligible to practise in other countries such as the US or Australia, again provided they meet the necessary local requirements.
- Students are matched with a personal tutor from day one and have regular one-on-one meetings with our career advisers to track their studies and steps to practise in the country they wish to work. By outlining these pathways to practise, all students can put together timelines and application requirements based on the country and speciality they are seeking to practise in the future.
- Aside from the educational side of things, Cyprus is full of friendly, warm-hearted people. It has great weather and a lower cost of living than many UK cities. It has sea, mountains and ancient ruins … and many excellent restaurants.
- All incoming students at the University of Nicosia Medical School are guaranteed accommodation in our brand new student residences which redefine modern student living.
The combination of a multicultural population, modern infrastructure, English language knowledge, reasonable cost of living, rich history and a beautiful natural environment makes it an ideal place to study for our global student body.
When is it a good time to think about applying to an International Medical School?
The earliest time to apply is during the final year at school prior to sitting A-Level Examinations. Places will be offered conditionally on achieving the appropriate grades. All applications can be submitted online. For more information please contact email@example.com.