Should I Take BMAT August or BMAT October?⠀
One of the most common questions asked by BMAT takers is ‘Should I take BMAT August or BMAT October?’.
There are a variety of factors to take into consideration – for example, your availability on the test dates, when you will have the time to prepare for the exam, and the available space at your nearest test centres.
This page will give you all the information you need to make the right decision for you!
Wondering when you should sit the BMAT? Take our quiz!
Take the BMAT August v October quiz
When are the Two Exams?
BMAT August is 31st August 2019 and BMAT October is 30th October 2019.
Both test sessions will be considered equally by the institutions/courses.
However – don’t forget that if you are applying to Oxford, you will need to sit the exam in October (even if you’re applying to other medical schools accepting BMAT August results). Find out which universities accept which results here.
BMAT August vs BMAT October: When Should I Take the Exam?
Ultimately, this is your choice! However, it’s worth noting that whereas before you could only sit the BMAT after submitting your UCAS application, the test session in August means you can now find out your BMAT score before applying to medical school, which is a big deal!
This means you can apply strategically with both your UCAT and BMAT scores in hand, so you can vastly improve your chances of receiving offers to interview.
For example, if you perform really well in your BMAT, you can research the cut-off scores for each BMAT university (where applicable!) and calculate where you have the best chances of securing an interview.
Alternatively, if you don’t do as well as you hoped, you can make your application the strongest it can be by only applying to UCAT medical schools. So you can completely tailor where you apply to suit your strengths!
However, it’s also important to consider the following, as these will likely influence your decision.
- How much time will you have over the summer for UCAT and BMAT preparation? UCAT takes around 6 weeks of preparation, and longer for BMAT – so you’ll need to be able to dedicate time to each of them if you choose to sit the exam in August. If you know you’ll have the time, August might work best for you!
- Do you have any other significant commitments over the summer? If you have a lot of work experience, holidays or other activities planned over the summer, it may be difficult to juggle UCAT and BMAT prep too, so October might suit you better.
- Are you applying to Oxford? If you are, you’ll need to sit the October exam.
- What is the available space like at your nearest test centre? This also might dictate which exam you sit.
- Do you want to know your BMAT scores before or after you apply to medical school? If you do want to have these before you send off your application, you should take the August exam.
How Can I Prepare?
Whether you’re sitting BMAT August or BMAT October, we can help!
Fully revamped for 2020 entry, our one-day BMAT Course caters for both exams and will teach you detailed, tailored strategies for each section of the test – including our trademark approach for the Section 3 essay.
Book a BMAT Course
Poll: Are you taking the BMAT in August or October?
Find out more about The Medic Portal and how we support students with their BMAT preparation on our About Us page>>