Should I Take BMAT September or BMAT October
One of the most common questions asked by BMAT takers is ‘Should I take BMAT September or BMAT October?’.
There are a variety of factors to take into consideration – for example, your availability on the test dates, when you will have the time to prepare for the exam, and the available space at your nearest test centres.
This page will give you all the information you need to make the right decision for you!
Wondering when you should sit the BMAT? Take our quiz!
Take the BMAT September v October quiz
When are the Two Exams?
BMAT September is 1st September 2018 and BMAT October is 31st October 2018.
Both test sessions will be considered equally by the institutions/courses participating in BMAT September.
However – don’t forget that if you are applying to Oxford, you will need to sit the exam in October (even if you’re applying to other medical schools accepting BMAT September results). Find out which universities accept which results here.
BMAT September vs BMAT October: When Should I Take the Exam?
Ultimately, this is your choice! However, it’s worth noting that whereas before you could only sit the BMAT after submitting your UCAS application, the new test session in September means you can now find out your BMAT score before applying to medical school, which is a big deal!
This means you can apply strategically with both your UKCAT and BMAT scores in hand, so you can vastly improve your chances of receiving offers to interview.
For example, if you perform really well in your BMAT, you can research the cut-off scores for each BMAT university (where applicable!) and calculate where you have the best chances of securing an interview.
Alternatively, if you don’t do as well as you hoped, you can make your application the strongest it can be by only applying to UKCAT medical schools. So you can completely tailor where you apply to suit your strengths!
However, it’s also important to consider the following, as these will likely influence your decision.
- How much time will you have over the summer for UKCAT and BMAT preparation? UKCAT takes around 6 weeks of preparation, and longer for BMAT – so you’ll need to be able to dedicate time to each of them if you choose to sit the exam in September. If you know you’ll have the time, September might work best for you!
- Do you have any other significant commitments over the summer? If you have a lot of work experience, holidays or other activities planned over the summer, it may be difficult to juggle UKCAT and BMAT prep too, so October might suit you better.
- Are you applying to Oxford? If you are, you’ll need to sit the October exam.
- What is the available space like at your nearest test centre? This also might dictate which exam you sit.
- Do you want to know your BMAT scores before or after you apply to medical school? If you do want to have these before you send off your application, you should take the September exam.
How Can I Prepare?
Whether you’re sitting BMAT September or BMAT October, we can help!
Fully revamped for 2018, our one-day BMAT Course caters for both exams and will teach you detailed, tailored strategies for each section of the test – including our trademark approach for the Section 3 essay.
Book a BMAT Course 2018
Poll: Are you taking the BMAT in September or October?